Saturday, December 5, 2009

Day 2- THE YOUTH TAKE CHARGE

Back from an amazing day in Center City Copenhagen...had my "last supper" before my 2nd 3 day fast and reflected on the amazing power and joy of the youth movement...500 youth from 80 countries...and they are ready to rock and roll with our world leaders.

The first youth I met was from Malaysia...my Peace Corps country (1971-73) and when I greeted him in his language it was all over...he had been to Sabah (North Borneo) where I taught school for 3 years, had climbed Mt Kinabalu twice, the highest point in SE Asia (13,455 ft.) which was outside my kitchen window and when I told him I climbed it 4 times he couldn't believe we were in Copenhagen together.

Same thing happened with youth from Somalia and Nepal and then tonight I get this message from 1 Sky

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gKSo5UNlQAcNGb7rZGXYdO0OxkZwD9CCHR3G1

About the Prime Minister holding the world's highest cabinet meeting near the base camp of Mt Everest at Kala Pattar, the peak i climbed in Nov 1974 to get a good view of Chomolongma (Tibetan name for Everest, "Mother Goddess of the World"), to bring attention to the disappearing snow and ice...ie water source for his people.

I have never felt so hopeful about our future in the midst of this mess we've created as I have today surrounded by all these energetic, passionate youth.

I even had a moment to unveil our Interactive Playscape Banner....and they loved it...Sage you should be smiling now.



Youth started filling out cards and asking about the banner and it's purpose. Almost at the same time a young woman from India was talking about how Climate Change was a blessing for the world in that it is giving us the opportunity to start "creating the world we want" as we solve the problems that we have created.

WHAT KIND OF WORLD DO YOU WANT?

as the banner says.


One where my Edina friend's daughter, whom I have never met, comes up and hugs me. I have a birthday gift for her and remember that great resolution passed by the Edina City Council brought to our attention by Chuck Prentice???? That was Valida's idea from Berlin, to her Dad in Edina and back to Copenhagen. and here's our photo from today.

That's ONE COOL PLANET!!!


What's going to happen tomorrow??

No comments:

Post a Comment