Thursday, December 17, 2009

Frantic or Peaceful- We Choose/ Global Day of Fasting and Reflection

Hello again from Snowy Copenhagen and the long johns are back in action.  Feels like Minnesota today and I'll be wearing my Twins shirt to spread the message.  Took the morning to catch up on sleep, messages and reflecting on all I've seen, done and what's left to do on my last few days here.


Finally met with Nils, Craig Neal's Danish friend who set up my lodging through his cousin Ida. Such a network I have thanks to my friends. Nils wanted me to meet his friend Lars a retired environmental and energy engineer who worked for the previous Danish administration. We had a fabulous conversation about the negotiations, Danish culture, the way we address issues in the world and making on going connections between Denmark and Minnesota. Here we are at Lars home in downtown Copenhagen.


Just before that I said "Good-bye" to the Bella center I went to one last "side event" it was ICLEI's big event with mayors from all over the world doing the necessary and important work of implementing the energy and environmental programs that are transforming the way we live.  The mayor of Mexico City, Marcelo Ebrard Casaubon, host for the next COP 16 in 2010 spoke powerfully of the need for ICLEI and local governments to be involved in the negotiations in the coming debates. After he spoke, I thanked him for his efforts and asked him what he thought about having more wellness activities at the Mexican COP....yoga, massage, music, dance. Without a pause he said "I agree completely, more public involvement is very essential." He introduced me to Martha, his environmental secretary and on his way out of the room he said to Martha, "let's have him help to organize that next year."

Anyone for Mexico in December 2010?

Spent a lovely evening with Jane, my kind host, watching all the COP 15 coverage on TV and more computer work  with organizing the Climate Justice Fast big day, working on my return reception and news conference at the airport next Monday the 21st with tireless climate activist Natalie Gille and figuring out how to get to the airport on Monday morning at 4:30 am....Jane is going to drive me there on Sunday evening and I'll check in early and get some rest in the lounge.

Time to go see Al Gore and participate in the Global Fasting Day of Solidarity and say a prayer for our leaders to open their hearts and see the beauty of this new world that we are on the threshold of realizing.

And on the last day of the COP 15, I'll be where I belong. Connecting children in Copenhagen with kids in Edina and Minnesota. The last day of school before the vinterholiday, and now a visit from a Minnesota eco disc ivist...should be fun and finally Sage, our green interactive playscape can be used.

US just announced $100 billion per year by 2020 if the COP 15 can reach an agreement....nice try Hillary, but the $$$$ is needed now, not in 11 years.

Keep the faith and read the letter from Bill McKibben on my Facebook page.

Love in action,


Paul.....blogging a new world your way from the Bella Center in Copenhagen.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Paul,
    Glad you are representing us there. I've been following in Bogotá on CNN, and I just get frustrated at the bureaucracy. That they argued over those leaked emails for days really took away from the message. WE NEED TO CHANGE OUR LIFESTYLES! I'm enjoying being in a much less consumeristic society. My work is keeping me really busy, but I love it. Thanks for all the work you are doing. Allegra

    ReplyDelete